Thursday, June 5, 2008

Swingtown.....Two Thumbs Down

I didn't plan on watching this tv show but I was up and it came on the station I was watching. I wasn't paying that much attention but I like shows that are about the 70's. Now it's over and I'm sitting her thinking I could have gone forever without seeing this show. It's one of those things that leaves you feeling disgusted. For those of you who haven't seen this show advertised, it's about a few families living in the suburbs during the 70's. A family moves into a new neighborhood and the couple ends up being "swingers" with the couple across the street. This couple has children and seems to be happily married aside from the fact that they start sleeping with their neighbor's spouses. It just doesn't give you the warm-fuzzies when the episode ends.

The "old" neighbors of this couple disapproved of the behavior they saw and their characters were portrayed as prudish and cold.

What happened to tv shows with happy endings or shows that ended with a good moral to the story??? This show ended with the "happy" couple looking more in love than ever and a little excited about their recent frolic with their new friends. Really???

I've never been one to rant and rave that television is causing the downfall of human decency but this show really doesn't send a good message. The message I got from this show was that drugs are something that everyone does, infidelity will strengthen the bond with your spouse, and if your not into all of this then your quite the fuddy-dud. This show came on at 10pm on CBS and I'm positive that I'd be outraged if either of my nephews ever saw an episode. There was cocaine, marijuana, pills, the implication of quite a few menage a trois', and even more unethical actions that should be reserved for HBO ,Skinemax,..... or at least basic cable channels.

If anyone missed this episode do yourself a favor and miss it from now on. For now, I think I'll stick to watching The Office re-runs. Now that's a funny show.

1 comment:

Tisha & Kevin said...

Well, it doesn't sound like a good show. I'll be sure to flip past it if I come upon it. Thanks for the warning!