Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Running for Beginners

So, I've decided to make another attempt to get in shape. Everyone has inspired me with their 5k's, 10k's, and marathons so I've decided to try running. I'm not saying I'm going to be great at it or if it's something I'll even enjoy at all but I'll give it a try. I've printed off a training course that will help me build up my stamina to run a 5k in 8 weeks. It goes pretty slow which is what I need. My father-in-law said that I should make a bet with him for $500 that I will meet my goal that way I will stay motivated. Seriously, this is how bad I am at staying in a fitness routine. I've joined my local gym, had a Curves membership, bought an exercise bike, numerous workout videos, kickboxing, another gym membership. All this stretched out over time but still, how ridiculous is it that I always find a reason not to keep pushing on.

My friend, Lyndsey, even told me that when people run on a schedule for a long time their body begins to crave running. Will I ever get to this point? Probably not. I think this feeling is reserved for the cross country athletes I see running around EKU's campus.

My motivation so far is the new pair of tennis shoes I just ordered because of course you have to have brand new shoes to run in, right? That's what I think anyway. Not to say I didn't need them. The rubber sole has become detached from my current tennis shoes. The last time I was at the gym I could feel it flapping on the bottom of my shoe (definitely annoying). We'll see how it goes. Chan has already determined that I will decide the weather has gotten too cold when my shoes come in. I may just have to prove him wrong.... Wish me luck!

3 comments:

JB, Angie and Ashlyn said...

Your friend, Lyndsey is right! I crave running, now! If I can't run or I'm knocked off my routine of running every other day then I get very upset. Be prepared to get injured since you're a beginner runner. Just listen to your body and if you hurt an ankle or a knee becomes sore, then take a few days off and relax. I'm nursing a swollen ankle right now...I pushed it too much by running four miles too quickly. Good luck with your training and I hope you get the running bug...

Tisha & Kevin said...

Good for you Alissa!!! Looks like Angie gave you some good suggestions. I'm thinking of trying to run more to change my routine up. We'll have to chat about it. Can't wait to see you very soon. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Jaime is the fastest runner i have ever seen, even though she laughs the whole time.